Whilst working on GameEnd this week, I noticed that there was a huge problem with overlaying transparent images on top of video via WinForms.
After almost getting it working, via a series of convoluted workarounds, it still wasn’t good enough. After this happened, I decided enough was enough, and started work on porting the project to the WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) Framework.
Due to the way GameEnd was designed, 99% of the code was compatible with WPF out of the box. Naturally, excluding the Forms themselves, which needed remaking via WPF’s XAML designer.
After spending some time reading tutorials on XAML and WPF as a whole, I got to work. After roughly a day of work, GameEnd is now completely ported to WPF! This means that performance is even greater than before (it wasn’t a concern before, so now it’s remarkable) and it is even more visually stunning.
The image overlaying nuances from WinForms are now a thing of the past, and things are shaping up nicely.
We will soon be in a position to start showing it off via screenshots, followed by an open beta which I hope many of you will participate in. The target release date for the open beta is either the end of this month, or the middle of March. Due to the way software development works, I want to allow a reasonable time buffer to allow for any snags to be alleviated.
As always, thank you for reading!